CERTIFICATE IN FINANCIAL STUDIES
INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE
The Certificate is one of the vocational courses on offer in the A Level Pathways as follows:
A core subject in the following pathways: Business and Enterprise; Financial Academy.
Considering a career in Banking, Insurance and/or Financial Services? Need help managing your money and/or choosing Financial Products? Want to know how the UK financial system works?
This course can help you decide if a job in insurance or banking, or as a financial advisor is for you. It is recognised by universities and ‘worth’ the same number of UCAS points as standard A Levels. In addition, it may help you make better-informed choices about your own finances. If you want a career in Financial Services or just want to learn how to make confident decisions about your finances, then this is the course for you!
The first year Certificate has two units:
Unit 1 Financial Capability for the Immediate and Short Term which is assessed in January
Unit 2 Financial Capability for the Medium and Long Term which is assessed late April/Early May
The course covers topics such as saving and borrowing products, different types of bank account, investment products, dealing with long term risk, financial planning, consumer protection and ethics & sustainability in financial services.
Successful candidates can progress to year 2 to gain Diploma in Financial Studies (equivalent to full A Level). It is important to note that conditions for progression to year 2 are 85% or above college and course attendance at date of enrolment and achievement at Grade D or above in the first year. FURTHER READING ON THE COURSE & FINANCE IN GENERAL
- London Institute of Banking & Finance – link to the exam board for this course:
- Money Sense – link to personal finance issues for 16-19 year olds:
- Money Advice Service (M.A.S) – Free government advice resource on all aspects of finance
ACTIVITIES BEFORE STARTING THE COURSE
- TAKE THIS QUICK QUIZ TO FIND OUT YOUR MONEY PERSONALITY TYPE
- ACCESS THE LINK BELOW, THEN READ THE ADVICE & INFORMATION ON EACH ASPECT OF FINANCE. THEN TEST YOURSELF WITH THE QUIZ FOR EACH:
- THE BANK OF ENGLAND HAS A HUGE ROLE TO PLAY IN FINANCE IN THE UK. ACCESS THE LINKS BELOW AND INVESTIGATE FURTHER WHAT THE BANK OF ENGLAND DOES:
a. History of the Bank of England – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/history
b. Bank notes – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes
c. Gold – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/gold
d. Monetary Policy – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy
e. Careers – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/careers
f. Future of work – https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/education-resources/the-future-of-work