A Level Government and Politics
Welcome to Government and Politics, we look forward to you joining the course.
Politics is enjoyed by students who:
- Have an interest in the world around them; who want to know more about the society they live in, how it works and how it could work
- Enjoy debate and discussion or want to learn these skills; being comfortable with looking at arguments from both sides
- Like to think for themselves: who wants to develop their own views
- Enjoy the opportunity to study a new and exciting subject that looks at the contemporary challenges in modern society such as the response to Covid 19, or the environment
- Want to find out more as they become active citizens who can vote
A Level Government and Politics looks at a broad range of political issues which have an impact on people’s lives in Britain. Politics is about finding ways to deal with conflicts and disagreements between people in society, and so the course examines the nature of many conflicts in Britain today, as well as the institutions which set about trying to find solutions to these conflicts. You will therefore examine the main institutions of British Government such as Parliament, political parties and pressure groups. You will also explore the main ideas and concepts used to describe and understand British Government such as; democracy, freedom, equality, tolerance and rights.